Dance with me

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Daring

My friend, Ann, jumped out of an airplane today. She asked if I would willing to try it. I don't know if I could jump. I don't know if I have the nerve.
Ann and I went to Mexico several years ago and spent a day on Cozumel. We rented a scooter to drive around the island. I was very nervous. It was terrifying to drive in the city. By the time we got back to the scooter rental place, I was exhausted. The last part of the drive was on a highway with lots of wind and then back into the city traffic. There were moments that I was scared...can you imagine me jumping out of a plane? We had a couple with us from Pennsylvania. He was an ex-cop and he and his wife were on vacation. We had met them at the resort that we were staying. They were friendly and we thought we would spend the day together on Cozumel. We rented two scooters. The men running the scooter rental were perfectly fine with the ex-cop driving but they weren't very sure about me or Ann driving. They asked if one of us had driven a motorcycle before. I had, so I was told that I would drive the scooter. One of the men gave me a long lecture in broken English about how to drive a scooter....curve..no gas...big hill....no gas....he kept saying that over and over. I did fine driving...just very nervous...which makes you tense up your muscles...which makes you tire more quickly. We stopped for lunch (this is another story in and of itself). As we were pulling away from the restaurant the other couple skidded off the road and landed in the sand. The husband was so mad at this wife and blaming it on her...he was driving but he kept telling her that she leaned too far. They damaged the scooter which is also another story.
We made it back safe and I was able to relax my muscles again. For me, that was daring...it was hard and I had to reach back to a old skill. Yikes.
Do you think I have the nerve to jump out of a plane? Have you ever jumped out of a plane or possibly driven a scooter around the island of Cozumel?

2 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Mom said...

I've gone white water rafting. I think a scooter might be fun. But I will not jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
I''ll fly when God gives me wings.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

That was an adventure. Looking through the rosy glasses of my memory I forgot about the long long drive back and how cold we were. I'm sure it was worse for you in front.
I don't remember feeling nervous about your competence. You did great. No gas in the wrong places. No blaming.
That trip was an adventure - many stories!
The skydive was an amazing thrill. I was panicked feeling for about a minute, then it was so cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home