Dance with me

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Busyness Causes Crankiness

Today at work was so busy. We normally keep each others' spirits up by joking around and just plain being silly. Today was busy and seemed very long. My coworker, not in my unit, yelled at me...really, she chewed me up. It was something that really wasn't my fault but I just listened and tried to correct it but with no success. I vented to our nurse manager when I got back over to our unit and did feel better but it still frustrated me. At the end of our shift, the angry coworker came over and apologized. It takes a great deal of guts to go to another unit and ask forgiveness. I appreciate that so much. I can move on and work with her smoothly from here. But it also got me to thinking about how we treat the people we work with...if we handle each other gently from the beginning then we don't have to apologize. I think we take our treatment of others too lightly. It has made me think about my own behavior and the times that I have had to apologize...apologize for things said that should never have been said in the first place. I know that we are all going to make mistakes but I think that we too often give ourselves an excuse for our behavior.
Sorry, I just had to vent after my long day.

3 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

It would be nice if we could all be perfect too. I think we have to be willing to say sorry, and we have to allow for others the same room for error. You are allowed to be overworked and cranky. You also have to allow it in others.

Sounds like you need a week at the beach;-)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger julie said...

I hear what you are saying but I also know that I get frustrated with people who have to apologize over and over. If they thought before the acted or reacted then, they wouldn't have to apologize so often. There are a few people in my life to whom I don't just say,"It's okay." when they apologize to me. I explain then why the situation was difficult for me also...so that they understand they aren't the only ones frustrated but they are choosing to react the way that they are reacting. Does that make sense?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Sometimes, forgiveness needs to be given with a lesson. Sometimes, it needs to be given for free, without even the asking. The greatest power we are given on this earth might very well be the power to forgive another when they have wronged us, because that is what makes us children of the God who sends rain on the just and the unjust.
When someone explodes and launches on me, I tend to respond in kind, which is wrong. Your explanation to those who launch on you may help them realize they are not the only ones under job stress. Makes sense to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home