Dance with me

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Again

Tomorrow I am leaving again to go to Fortress with the Middle School girls from Highland. I am so excited about going with them. We will be working with the Fortress church. I don't know exactly what we are doing but I know that we will be serving their community in some way. I am looking forward to being with my 6th grade girls from this last year. They are an incredible bunch of girls and they have taught me so much.
We leave tomorrow morning and will come back on Saturday.

We are in the process of looking for a house. We have been living in our friend's house for about a year and half and we are so grateful to them for renting to us. We just need something smaller and easier to maintain. We love our neighborhood and our neighbors but we really want to simplify. We have some possibilities but I know that we will have a hard time deciding. We have seen some newer houses that we love and we have seen some older houses that need some work but we have loved so many things about them also. Pray that we will know which house is best for us when we see it. We have been several times today to the same house and it there is so much about it that feels like home but we aren't sure it is the right choice. This is too hard. We want to move into a house and stay there for as long as we can. I am tired of moving. Any advice out there from your own experiences? Have you moved into a brand new house in a neighborhood that is just beginning? Have you moved into an older established neighborhood into an adorable house that needs some work? Have you downsized? We will take any advice that we can get.

3 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm strange in this one way - well, maybe many others too, but in this one I admit it. I like living in new. Since Geof and I married 24 years ago (and after our first apartment which I lived in for 4 months) we have only lived in new spaces. I like the idea of new. It's fresh and noone else's ideas have crept in. It's really mine. There are no old memories in the walls. They are waiting for our stories to fill them up. Not that there's anything wrong with old, I just prefer new. There's my two cents.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger katherine said...

I'm not usually a blogger -- I'm a reader but I never post..... but today I feel inspired.

We bought our house almost a year ago. It is an old house, built in 1920 but well-maintained. We've put work into it and in the process have uncovered a multitude of wonderful "treasures".. beautiful hardwood floors, original woodwork, an old pulley-telephone system inside a wall, and even a WWII message..."Kilroy was here". And I love it! I love that we are part of a bigger story. I love the character and the little imperfections. I love the flowers that were planted tenderly years ago, that now bloom alongside the ones that I have planted.

Every so often, I'll run into someone that says "Oh I knew so and so who used to live in that house" and they'll go on to tell me what that person loved about living here.

There is nothing wrong with new :), but for me, personally, I like the old and all of the stories and memories that come with it. It's work, but it's worth it.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger pawatson said...

We've almost always bought "fixer-uppers." We could get more house for the money that way. We always enjoyed putting our touch on the house. We both love old houses and found one here in town that we fell in love with, but things didn't work out for us to buy it. We've always wished we had gone ahead and found a way to pay for it when it finally came on the market. It was just what we wanted. I think when you find the one that you fall in love with, go with it, whether it is new or old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home