Dance with me

Monday, July 10, 2006

Too Many Things To Talk About

New Orleans

Mary Kate is back from New Orleans and they had an amazing time...hard work and a sense of helping... Also a sense of devastation that was in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. It is good to have her back and good to know that it was time spent in service that was also a bonding experience for those kids and adults. Good times all around and some good funny stories to go with it.
---------------------------
Romeo and Juliet

We went Saturday night to see Romeo and Juliet at ACU. They do a Shakespeare Festival every summer that is free. I went to pick up our tickets and asked the girl at the box office how much I owed her and she said that it was free. I know my mouth dropped open and I said thank you to her in amazement.
The show was fabulous and thoughtful. This was the most kinetic version of Romeo and Juliet that I have ever seen. Very fresh and sometimes jolting. The two young actors playing Romeo and Juliet seemed so real in their roles. I love the set and how it was designed....applause to Gary Varner who designed it and also played Montague. You are more talented than most of us. Lauren Allred...you are a natural actress....you brought emotion to this tragedy but you also brought the emotion of laughter....you are good, girl!
--------------------------
Another book to recommend

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd...I read this book in one day...today.
I went to work this morning and we only had three patients on the board and so I volunteered to go home....woohoo! But I haven't been feeling well. So, I went to the doctor. I told him my symptoms and also told him about the tick bites. I ended with a steroid injection, an antibiotic injection and antibiotics to take for the next 14 days. The also did a CBC and a Lyme test. I felt kind of weird the rest of the day. So, I read a whole book. Now on to the book.
This book is about finding ourselves and about being in relationship without losing yourself. It is about betrayal and forgiveness. This book has some great things to say about marriage and the benefits of staying married and how love feels when it lasts. This book is about how sometimes it is important to dig up the past in order to live in the present.

From The Mermaid Chair:
"I closed my eyes, and it was Hugh I saw. His hands, the hair on his fingers, the Band-Aids on his thumbs. How real all of that was. How ordinary. How achingly beautiful. I wanted him back. Not like before but new, all new. I wanted what came after the passion had blown through: flawed, married love."
just an explanation-Hugh is her husband.
on forgiveness:
"There would no grand absolution, only forgiveness meted out in these precious sips. It would well up from Hugh's heart in spoonfuls, and he would feed it to me. And it would be enough."
Isn't that just how forgiveness works...slowly, little by little...we are able to let go of our anger and give a little back to the person who has hurt.

We were leaving the Fuqua's last night and Summer asked if I would like to read this book and of course, I would. Summer, I finished it one day. You think I liked it? I loved it. I have loved every thing I have read by Sue Monk Kidd.

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger julie said...

Did you notice that I was crying. I couldn't say those words to your sweet family without tears. I did mean those words though...I want to stand beside you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home