Dance with me

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Civil War

I told you that I would tell more stories this week. If tonight's story seems tired....I am sorry because I am very tired from work today....rough, rough day.

I told you that my great-great-great grandfather fought in the Civil War. He rode with the First Alabama Cavalry, Company A. He fought for the Union. I would love to know more about him. What I do know is...
His name was Mordecai McKinney Cox.
He was born in Habersham County, Georgia.
He married a woman named Nancy Lemaline.
When he was old he had a fluffy, snow white beard.
He spent almost a year and a half fighting in the Civil War.
My mother says that he was wounded.
He hid out in a hollow log so that he could see his family.
He lived in Marion County and Winston County, Alabama at some time during his life.
He was born on January 12, 1837.
He died on May 22, 1923.

I had it wrong the other day when I said that he was 4 greats...he is only 3 greats for me. I am going to continue digging for family information. It is fun.

I do have one amazing Civil War story from my family. As I said before, my family fought for the Union and because they fought for the Union they were persecuted. I know that you have heard of the Home Guard. They thought it was their job to keep the towns in line while the rest of the men were out fighting. Mostly they were cruel and dangerous men. They preyed on the women and children who were left at home while their brothers, fathers and husbands went out to fight the war. The women and children most vulnerable were those who had relatives fighting for the Union. If the Home Guard caught these men, they would at the very least scare them but mostly they tortured them...skinning alive, castrating, beating, hanging....you get the picture. So, of course, those particular women and children lived in constant fear. My great-great-great Aunt was alone, living on an isolated farm with her daughter when the Confederate army came through. She grabbed her shotgun and shot all that she could and obviously the rest left her alone. She then collected all their heads...cut them off their bodies and hung them up on the trees surrounding her property with their Confederate caps on their heads. I don't think the Confederates bothered her anymore.
Crazy story, huh?

3 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Yikes! I wouldn't want to have crossed her path!
An amazingly courageous woman for her time though... given the circumstances.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger AuntyPatience said...

Mordecai McKinney Cox was my gg-grandfather. Would love to hear more stories about him & share info.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Donna B. said...

Hi! I'm auntypatience's sister and I wanted to leave you a message that we're planning a family reunion and would love for our more 'distant' cousins to join us.

We're planning it for March 14, 2009 in Hughes Springs TX -- how far is that from Abilene?

You should have my email address if you get this comment, so let me know what you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home