Dance with me

Friday, June 23, 2006

Loving this Book

Those of you who have been reading my blog know that I am obsessed with communion and you know the story of me giving communion to little Ethan. I have been reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. The beginning is confusing but the writing is beautiful and there is so much theology woven into this story. I am loving it. I think I was supposed to read this book right now. Here's part of the reason why:

"Today was the Lord's Supper, and I preached on Mark 14:22,"And as they were eating, he took bread, and when he had blessed, he brake it, and gave it to them, and said, Take ye: this is my body." Normally I would not preach on the Words of Institution themselves when the Sacrament is the most beautiful illumination of them there could be. But I have been thinking a great deal about the body these last weeks. Blessed and broken. I used Genesis 32:23-32 as the Old Testament text, Jacob wrestling with the Angel. I wanted to talk about the gift of physical particularity and how blessing and sacrament are mediated through it. I have been thinking lately how I have loved my physical life.
In any case, and you may remember this, when almost everyone had left and the elements were still on the table and the candles still burning, your mother brought you up the aisle to me and said, "You ought to give him some of that." You're too young, of course, but she was completely right. Body of Christ, broken for you. Blood of Christ, shed for you. Your solemn and beautiful child face lifted up to receive these mysteries at my hands. They are the most wonderful mystery, body and blood.
It was an experience I might have missed. Now I only fear I will not have time enough to fully enjoy the thought of it."

I will give more little bits of this book as I keep reading. It gives light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home