Dance with me

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Happy Father's Day

I know that officially Father's Day is next week but we will all be out of town on that day and Tim will be home all by himself. So, we celebrated today. We gave him some very usual presents...some shirts, pants, and a new wallet. And Tim was his usual self. He gets to choose where we eat on that Sunday and he chose to eat at El Chico's. He doesn't choose to eat there because it is his favorite place but because he knows that we will all like it (and they take 10% off when he you give them a church bulletin). He would rather have gone to Golden Corral or Furr's. We all hate those places and he always wants to make all of us happy...even when it is his day. That is what makes him a great dad. He is gentle and kind. He listens well. He is much more patient than I am. I know that is part of the reason why we are married. I was a single mom with a little boy who was less than a year old. He would hold Corey and talk to him. Corey would fall asleep so quickly for Tim. My friend, Pixie, said that it was either because it was a sign that he was "the one" or that he was extremely boring. Pixie loves Tim and I knew which one she believed to be true. Tim never once made Corey feel like he was less his child than our other kids and Corey wouldn't want to call anyone else Dad. He adopted Corey before we were even married for 6 months. It was important to him that Corey belong to both of us and that Corey have his name. When we went to court for the adoption, Tim held Corey and Corey kept giggling and playing with Tim and the judge said that it was obvious to him where this little boy belonged. That judge was right. I know that there have been times that Tim has felt that I haven't liked his choices with our children but those choices have been about what they were given to eat, bedtime, and clothes they were allowed to wear. The big stuff he always gets right. Our kids know that he is the easy one. You can talk Dad into things easier than you can talk Mom into them. We balance each other. I love him for many reasons but I love to watch him with our children...that is one of my favorite things.

9 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

It's good to know when you are lucky while you are experiencing it. You got one of the good ones!
Ann

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger TKP said...

Awwwwww...great post Julie. Too bad you don't have a picture of Corey and Tim at the courthouse. That would have been adorable.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Tim really is precious. You are blessed.

Ok, I don't have your cell phone number so I can't call you! And I've got stuff going on tonight until 9. I love the idea of us getting together to share the body and blood of Jesus. I see you're leaving town. when?

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Julie-
Great post, I love Tim, too. You really are so so special.
C

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger julie said...

Candy, I realized that part way through today also. I thought that we had exchanged cell phones numbers...guess we didn't. I was at work until 10:30 tonight. Crazy day!!! The worst since I have been at this hospital. We will get together soon.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Jeremiah said...

Julie--It's been such a blessing to get to know you and Tim over the last year and get to see what an incredible Christian husband, wife, and marriage look like. I look forward to spending more time with you in the future. I miss you guys!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Jeremiah beat me to it! We have loved watching y'all and getting to be part of your lives. You guys are a great example of love and patience and humor and so many other things for us. Love y'all!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger pawatson said...

Happy Father's Day, Tim. You are a great guy.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Malia said...

Happy (early) Father's Day Tim!

Between reading this post and it being summer and me being nostalgic about camp, I find myself a bit weepy and really missing you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home