Dance with me

Monday, June 26, 2006

My Baptisms

I would still love to hear more of your baptism stories. I loved Candy's honesty and Sue's sweet memory.

I was first baptized by my minister, Gene Chumley, at 11 years old. I had been thinking about it for a long time and just felt compelled to "go forward" that particular Sunday night. I didn't talk with anyone beforehand. I never discussed it with my parents or a teacher or anyone else. I was scared but mostly about being in front of people. I really don't remember the date or the time of year that my baptism occurred. I do remember the feeling I had that night...lightness, freedom, clean, fresh and peaceful. I already knew Jesus but just felt like I had to do something to show that to everyone and to say this is the way I want to go.

Later, as a teenager I began to question my baptism. It was very common in the 70s to question your baptism. I was baptized again at camp. I felt like I was doing the right thing but it was weird. I didn't feel the same that second time. It felt empty and like I was just going through the motions. I don't know what that means except to say that the first one was right...I had made a choice. I was following Jesus. I knew then that is where I wanted to live and I wanted to stay there forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home