Dance with me

Friday, January 16, 2009

Sherry Burgess and Camp WaMaVa

I started looking at old videos on YouTube and memories started to pour over me. I was always shy about singing in front of people. My friends knew that but they would always convince me to sing with them after Banquet at camp. Sherry Burgess and I used to sit out on the hills around camp on a blanket with Sherry's guitar, possibly some gimp, some books and a Bible and we would spend the afternoon with campers coming and going. We would read, do some arts and crafts, read scripture to each other but most of the time we would sing. Sherry was a great harmonizer and I would sing the melody and anyone else who happened to be there would add whatever they could add or just listen. Great conversation would happen on that blanket. Friendships were sealed for life. If I close my eyes I am there. Greenest grass you have ever seen. Blue sky with clouds that the imagination can make into anything that you want them to be. Towering trees with birds singing along with our music. The faces of many children...all kinds...many different backgrounds. And that smell...unique to that area of the country...I can't even describe it...you have to go there to know it. Actually, you probably have to live with it and have some memories wrapped around it in order to really smell it.
Sherry was one of the first friends to convince me to sing with her after Banquet. I remember singing these songs with Sherry. They may take you to another place also....or you may be too young...either way...they will speak to you.


4 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Wow! I had to catch up on all your new posts! Thanks!

I remember Sherry. That was a sweet and peaceful era at WaMaVa. I hope children still find that joy and freedom there.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Robin Harrison said...

I have a good friend named Paige Shinn who went to camp WaMaVa for many years. She has told me many great stories about this place, just like you describe - beautiful country, singing, chapel in the woods, the big tree with the nail and the hook. We both live in San Antonio, TX. I play guitar and when we get together we have lots of fun playing and singing. Paige has told me there was a blue songbook or hymnal that was used at Camp WaMaVa. Id love to find this book and give it to her as a gift.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger julie said...

Robin, I love Paige! And yes, I will find that book and either send you one or a copy of one. I have many great memories of Paige and her family and now new memories with her sister and her family in Texas. Give Paige a hug from the Danleys. She is intensely loved by us. We will look for the songbook. I am pretty sure that we have one but not positive.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Robin Harrison said...

Wow, what a coincidence! I had no idea you knew Paige! I was googling for the Camp WaMaVa songbook and came across your blog. I asked Paige if she knew you and she flipped out! I don't know how all this blogging works, but you can contact me at rharrison@saisd.net Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home