Dance with me

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

25 Years with the Same Man

On December 23rd Tim and I celebrated our 25th anniversary. Well, I say celebrated but we really didn't do anything big...we went out to dinner and then tried to finish our Christmas shopping. We hope to do something fun later. But yes, on the 23rd we had been married for 25 years.
I am thankful that I married the man I married. He is kind, easygoing, gentle, mature...I don't mean age...although he is older than me, a good dad, a caring husband and a follower of Jesus. 25 years has not been hard with him. We have struggled at times....financially, or argued more than usual at times, trouble with children, church problems that leaked into our home, and yet, we have always loved each other. That part was easy.
We also know that the friends we made as a family have been a big part of our marriage...
Jim and Pixie McCall- we met them at camp and they became our lifelong friends. They have walked with us through everything.
Ann and Tim Evankovich-so many fun memories that involve both or one of them and their children. One great memory that involves their apartment, our anniversary and inviting us over but they left us.
Gary and Tammy Selby-we sort of grew up with Gary but then he married Tammy and that cemented our relationship. Reading to each other's children, talking until late at night, singing, and deep discussion.
And then there were those adults who became like parents to us....
Guy and Joanne Vanderpool
Sue and Dennis Evans
Graham and Esheron McKay
We know that we wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn't for all those people in our lives. We have had great examples and those examples started in our own homes. I know that my dad wasn't someone I wanted to pattern myself after but I did learn what I didn't want my husband to be like. My mom showed me that you can live through crazy stuff and still be cheerful and love your children. Tim's parents were strong and steady. Sometimes I wanted to see some more emotion from them but their faithfulness is huge. That is enough from our parents...we can't expect more. Just as what we are giving our children is not perfect but I know there is enough good stuff that they can take away from us.
Our brothers and Tim's one sister have always been there for us and shown us what family is all about. We love being with all of them and sometimes wish that we all lived closer together.
Thank you to all of you who have walked beside us.
At our wedding Ken asked the witnesses if they would help us along this journey. Some of those people there have done just that.

8 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

It is funny how much our lives,mine and yours are woven together. We married the same type of man, our oldest have the same kind of history with their fathers and I have been married almost 27 years. Most of the people you mentioned have not been a part of my life as long but have been as supportive and inspirational. I asked Mark T how he was and he said "Blessed more than I deserve". I know just what he means.
Love to both of you.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger julie said...

Maureen, I love you and yes, our lives are forever woven together. I love that.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Happy Anniversary to you both.
I love you guys.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Mom said...

We are glad to be on your list. You two are always part of us.
Happy anniversary.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger John said...

It's good that you married him when you did. I had my eye on him for quite some time.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Happy Anniversary Julie & Tim. I hope you have many more wonderful years together. I miss you guys.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger TimD said...

John, I don't know if you remember this, but ... we always did make a perfect "10".

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I love you too! Happy Anniversary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home