Dance with me

Friday, November 07, 2008

Good but Hard Week

I will attempt to muddle through my emotional week for you.
We returned from a beautiful weekend in the Texas Hill Country to the news that our old friend, Mikel Peterson, has passed away on Friday. He was 53 years old and had a sweet marriage and two grown children who just married within the last year and a half.
Ken and Jeanette came for the funeral and spent election night with us. We cheered the election of Barack Obama and we cried at the significance of the moment. My favorite moment from that night was after Obama's speech and they had waved to the crowd and their children were already backstage...Michelle stood and watched her husband for a moment while he took in the crowd. What was going through her head? That was a precious moment.
Funeral was Wednesday. Very hard.
Now I will attempt to explain the real difficulty of the week.
Are there really still people in this country who think that white people are superior to black people? Do we really think that it is okay to be prejudiced? Is that Christian? I am so tired of hearing the bellyaching that is coming from ignorance. I know that I live in Texas but Texas doesn't get to elect the president. The whole country does.
From the time that I was a very little girl...around 3 years old...I felt called to equality. I knew that people are all the same. We only have different hued skin. I am not really white but kind of tan. My African American friends are not black and some of them are also kind of tan.
All the negative racial stuff in the air is making me crazy. I am afraid that I might snap at someone if I hear anymore. I am tired of ignorance. I want a new era of understanding. A place of peace. A time for coming together.

4 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Mom said...

Amen. We have come a long way, but we are not there yet.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I am so sorry for you down there in Bush Country. They need your voice, but you have always been more willing to tolerate those uncomfortable situations than I.

I have been able to avoid listening to ignorant extremism. Here in the county with the wealthiest African Americans in the nation, there is a sense of jubilation everywhere. My Republican friends, well, actually my Republican friends voted for Obama. And the others haven't spewed, just been quiet or even supportive.

I hope Obama can win the hearts of these people who have sold their minds to ignorance and hatred.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger julie said...

Ann, I hope so.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Julie - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Mikel. I'm praying for his family even now.

May I just say I'm very tired, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home