Dance with me

Sunday, July 20, 2008

WW II Novels



I had been searching for a book for a couple of months and had been unable to find it. I finally found a used copy and bought it. About the fourth sentence into the book I realized that I had already read it. I did read it again and it is still thought provoking and powerful. Pixie told me to read it a long time ago and I guess that I did but then everyone starting telling me to read it again and I couldn't remember that I did....so now I own it and I have read it twice. The book is The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. The movie will be released in December. Yay!
I finished it and immediately started a book titled Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum. I am almost done with it and it is enthralling. Both books deal with the German side of the war and the horror of it and human side of the Germans and what they did to survive. I need my book club back so that we can talk about them.
A quote from Those Who Save Us: Who among us is not stained by the past?
You have to read the book to know who says this and why. That is a surprising moment in the story.
Are any of you old book clubbers out there?

10 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Julie, I would recommend Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - a gorgeous, haunting account of the occupation of France during WWII. Fascinating stuff about living with the enemy. And I also loved Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg - the story of three Irish-American sisters during WWII. Really warm, poignant and fun.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Julie,
We stopped our book club for the summer and we're hoping to start it back up in September.

I miss our book club too.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Mom said...

Sounds like 2 good reads. I'll put them on my list.
I miss our book club too.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger John said...

Never have been in a book club but always wondered what it would be like.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

When we had regular book club meetings at rotating houses, my then 8 year old daughter was disappointed to learn we didn't sit around and read. We had some great cooks, wine or margaritas, and some great conversations prompted by some provocative books.
I could use a resurrection.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

When we had regular book club meetings at rotating houses, my then 8 year old daughter was disappointed to learn we didn't sit around and read. We had some great cooks, wine or margaritas, and some great conversations prompted by some provocative books.
I could use a resurrection.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I could be a new book club member. Now there's a thought.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger julie said...

Candy, that is a definite thought! I have been thinking about that in Abilene! Let's talk.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Now that I know the fishers moved into YOUR neighborhood, I'll let you know whenwe're coming for a visit. For sure in October to see Garrison Keillor and A Prairie Home Companion!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger julie said...

Stephen, that would be great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home