Dance with me

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Okay, I Haven't Blogged for a Few Weeks



So much has happened since I last blogged....
It has been hard to blog. I have been busy but I also wasn't sure what I wanted to share and what I didn't.
I did go home with Lucy for about 4 days. Not long enough. I was able to spend time with my mom and dad. My dad is dying. He is on hospice care and I am not sure that he ever recognized me...but it was still good to see him. I am sure that that was the last time I would see him alive. My dad was not a great dad in many ways....he drank too much, he was verbally and physically abusive, he treated my mom terribly and he didn't seem to enjoy the company of his own family very often. But my dad did provide some good things for our family...he always worked hard, we always had a nice house and food, he had a very nice singing voice and when he was in a good mood there was twinkle to his eye and he could be very fun. That kind of personality can be very confusing to a child but as an adult you can see it all much more clearly. My dad did the best he could with what he had....his own upbringing got his way and his feelings of inadequacy many times kept him from being his best self. Aren't we all that way in some ways?
My mom is tired but still continuing to care for my dad. I admit that I looking forward to a freer time with my mom. Time to go to lunch, shop, swim at the beach and just hang out with her and my family. Those things haven't happened for a very long time. It was good to just be in the same house with her again.
My brothers and their families came over for dinner and it was fun to catch. My little brother's grandson, Christopher, is adorable and sweet. I can tell that Danny loves him. That is so good to see.
My mom's neighborhood has changed so much since I grew up there. It is like a little UN. You can find someone from just about every nation in the world in her neighborhood. That makes it very colorful. I love that about it but it does make it feel less like home. Most of the old neighbors are either dead or have moved. That is weird. I even saw women in full burkas. I wanted so badly to strike up a conversation but I wasn't even sure where to start.
I got to see some Bowie friends while I was there also...
Mickey's lacrosse game in the rain made me feel right at home in Maryland. All of Ann's kids have grown up so much and it felt so good to be with them. Sofie's reaction to seeing Lucy at Bowie High was worth the whole trip. Lucy said that she would like to be greeted like that every time she enters a room. The adults at the Bowie Church of Christ used to say that we they were little and would greet each other as they got to church...but they had probably seen each other the night before but were still so thrilled to see each other again.
Laurel and Gary had some friends over for dinner so I could see them all in one place. Thanks to both of you. Gary, I loved our kitchen conversation. It is so good to share our loads...somehow they seem lighter then.
Ann and I had so little time together and an even shorter time alone. We stayed up almost all night to try to catch up. It was worth it but definitely didn't feel long enough. Thanks for staying up with me and then getting up in an hour to take us to the airport.
It was good to meet Mark because he means so much to Ann. A nice guy. I know that I need more time to get to know him. I can tell that Ann's kids love him and that speaks volumes to me.

Tomorrow we go to pick up Mary Kate. Yay!!
I know that it will be hard for her to leave Oxford. I can only equate it to my summers working at camp as a teenager. We had formed such deep community and we knew that it would never be the same and it was hard to leave. I know that she is feeling some of that.
I love these two pictures of her during her last days there.
The one with the whole group of girls is a shot of all the girls who lived in the basement of house 9 for the semester. Can't wait to hear all their stories.

5 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger John said...

It's always a blessing to see family and friends. I know that I surely felt more than welcome when I was at your house. Thank you for that.

I'm praying for you, your mother and your father. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that that growing up. But thanks for mentioning it. Sometimes my own feelings of inadequacies makes me wondering if I'm any good as a father.

For a woman who dealt with so much growing up, you sure turned out to be a wonderful person.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Mom said...

Julie, I love you.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

It was so great to see you. Who needs sleep anyway?

Distance does help focus things.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Julie,
Welcome home and thanks for the update. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I am sorry about your Dad. I'm glad you got to go back to visit with friends and family.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger MarkEC said...

It was great to meet you too.. hopefully we will have more time to visit with each other the next time. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home