Dance with me

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Evol

Just some lines from "Summer of My German Soldier". This little girl lives without the love of her family. They are right there but don't know how to love her. The woman who cleans their house and cooks and takes care of the children is one of the only people who show her love. She is smart and tries often to think all this through.

"I didn't want to grow up to spend my days like that, but I didn't want to spend my growing-up days like this either. Sitting alone on a curb trying to think of something to do.
If I had a horse as black as the night I'd go galloping off in search of her. Go, Evol, Go! North toward the Ozarks and never come back.
People would ask, "What a peculiar name, and what does it mean?" And I'd lie to them, saying it was short for "evolution." Evolution like in Darwin's theory.
But someday it would happen. I'd find her and she'd understand right away that Evol has more power spelled in reverse. And that would be the sign between us. She would be my real mother and now at last I could go home."

Love...the bottom line.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Love enables us to live beyond ourselves.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Kara said...

you should check out the pics on my blog. i got the boys room finished, and the hooks fit right in! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home