Dance with me

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Middle School

We have just finished a class with Lucy at church. This class is called Faith Decisions and it is for eighth graders and their parents. Being in this class has made me think about my own middle school years....

We didn't call it middle school...we called it intermediate school. I went to Francis Scott Key Intermediate School in Springfield, Virginia on Franconia Road. The school was fairly new and the classes set up in pods...like the social studies pod, the science pod, the language arts pod. And it had the coolest home ec room and shop. I would love to walk back through those halls to jar some memories. I played tons of soccer, had lots of friends but also felt very insecure. Maybe that is just normal. My friends were mostly new friends that I made at that school. They were mostly from another elementary school but they included me. We had slumber parties and theme parties and played soccer together. We went to high school football games mostly just to people watch.
We had to dress out for gym in these awful stretchy one piece outfits that were blue on the bottom and striped on the top with elastic around the waist and a zipper in the back. They were sleeveless and didn't look good on anyone...maybe that was the point. We had to shower after gym and change in the locker room...ewww! I remember that once my friend, Yvonne, had her pants stolen by this mean girl that we were all afraid of...I don't think that she ever got her pants back but the girl wore them the rest of that same day.
I had many favorite teachers in middle school...Miss Kubiashi (our student teacher), Mr. Eckelhoffer, Mr. VanMeter and our Spanish teacher...I can picture her in my head but I can't remember her name. Mr. Eckelhoffer called me Pebbles...my maiden name is Stone.
Middle school was scary but you can tell that I have many fond memories from that time,

What do you remember?

7 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

What did Yvonne do without pants?!

My ugly gym suit had the zipper in the front. What an embarrassing moment with the zipper, that went from neck to navel, separated while playing flag football!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Mary Kate said...

I can't remember that far back

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Mary Kate, you crack me up.

Middle School was Jr. High in Arizona. It was pretty fun for the most part. Mostly I remember the teachers. We had one student teacher that continually said "what not". We used to count how many times he said it in one class period. I don't remember anything he said but that. Now that makes me laugh as much as it did then. Thanks for the memories, Julie. They're flying back in my head as I write.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Peggy N Texas said...

I had one teacher in Jr. High, (also what we called it in Lubbock, Texas) that was evidently hypoglycemic. She was skinny as a rail and drank of cup of coffee and had a package of crackers while teaching! It always made me hungry and she never shared!

The most ugh thing I remember is the word math problems. They were my worst nightmare. I evidently finally got the hang of them, I passed!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

My middle school years were not stellar in many ways. I was the shortest kid in my grade from 1st grade through 11th, and each year two or three guys picked me out as their target whipping boy. I spent a lot of time ducking and dodging...and fighting. Everything was black and white then, religiously speaking, and I obsessed over lots of non-critical issues. I guess, though, that in the process I learned what I needed to keep my faith, so it was good, as well. I had two good friends, Mark and Brent, and without them I would have had practically none outside of Girl Scouts. I relished my times at Girl Scout camp (don't get excited-- my parents were leaders)because there I was a hero. I could build a fire with a hand lens at the age of 6. I knew all the plants and animals and their tracks, the rocks, how to pitch a tent and storm lash it when I was 9. I could make and splice rope, I could solve camping problems. I could cook almost anything. I knew the stars and the clouds, and I never, ever had to fight. It was really nice to be there, and have peace. Those are really good memories, but might not apply to "middle school".
I had a shop teacher who drank two bottles of Listerine every day, and actually put salt on his hairpiece
to make it look more real.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

My middle school experience was horrible. Many "mean girls" and I hated it. I have no good memories from middle school. There is nobody I keep in touch with from middle school or even high school.

I was glad to graduate and be done in P.G. County Public Schools.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Malia said...

I went to ACES 1st through 6th grade then went to 7th grade at Franklin Middle School. Let me tell you, that was quite a shock! First day, I met a girl in my grade who had already had a baby! We had 7 or 8 class periods and going from having one main teacher + music and p.e. teachers to 7 or 8 different teachers was mind boggling. P.E. was humiliating, I'd never had to "dress out" before (thankfully, we just wore shorts and t-shirts!). I got quite an education that year and most of it wasn't even academic!

I loved my reading and English teachers and my choral director. My choral director had composed a song from 1 Cor 13 and she taught the choir to sing it! My Texas history teacher was the girls tennis coach. All 7th graders were required to take Spanish even though the predominant ethnicity in that particular school (and probably many other in Abilene) was Mexican.

I wrote a post the other day about how since I changed schools three times in three years, I never ended up taking home-ec or shop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home