Dance with me

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lucy, again

Fourteen years ago today a little girl came into our lives by scheduled caesarean section at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. It was cold and snowy and we were a little afraid...this was our first caesarean and we really didn't know what to expect. They first did an ultrasound and the nurse asked if we wanted to know the sex of the baby and we replied in unison...No! She laughed at us and said that she guessed she had her answer. We had always agreed to not know the sex of the baby until birth. At delivery when the doctor said, "It's a girl." we both started to cry. She was beautiful like a baby doll. We were thrilled and we still are.
Many events happened around that snowy weekend in Baltimore...my mom allowing a stranger to ride with her when she got lost in Baltimore (in Baltimore!!! one of the most dangerous inner cities that I have encountered), Sue and Dot riding around the Baltimore beltway twice to get home from the hospital, Gary and Tammy's visit, Ann bringing our other kids to see Lucy, Ann visiting me in recovery and wondering what she had gotten herself into (she was newly pregnant with Sofie), the blizzard that kept me from going home and kept the nurses from attending to me. All of these can be expanded and some of them are very funny in retrospect.
My baby shower for Lucy also involved snow. My mother-in-law and mom and I drove to Columbia, MD to Tammy Selby's house for the shower in a freak snowstorm. It happened suddenly and was piling up fast. I was so far along...this was the weekend before the c-section and I was afraid that we were going to be stuck somewhere and my mother and mother-in-law were going to have to assist me in delivery and a breech one at that. I was thinking worst possible scenario.
No wonder Lucy loves snow.

2 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I was just thinking about that day. We love Lucy and miss her over here on the coast.

I remember hiking around that hospital with your kids trying to find an accessible door. Lots of snow piled up in that lot.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Mom said...

It sure took a looong time to get home from that hospital!
Today we have snow piling up like we did the day of her baby shower.
Happy birthday Lucy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home