Dance with me

Monday, January 08, 2007

Sacred

I have been bothered lately about something that could seem concrete but actually seems kind of vague to me. What do we define as sacred? I think that we have allowed too much to creep into our sacred spaces. Sacred spaces like....a conversation with a friend, birth, death, dinner, worship, the living room, our bedrooms, our cars, the grocery store...I know, I know, you are thinking that not all of those places are sacred but I beg to differ.
Technology has crept into those spaces...all those spaces used to be places where we interacted with each other but now they are filled with television or our cell phones or the computer or ipods or a dvd player. I am a labor and delivery nurse and people leave the tv on while they are giving birth. How can you fully experience the birth of that child while watching tv? Someone is dying and the family is gathered around the bed. What would be good and healthy is conversation to the dying and to each other, possibly a song or a prayer or some silence, tears shed and hands held, heads on shoulders, and knowing looks across the room but lately I have seen...tvs watched, cell phones ringing. Cell phones ring during worship. Computers draw our attention away from our family in our homes. TVs in our bedrooms distract.
Some of the best conversation with my children happened in the car but I now see so many people with their children in the car and they are talking on their cell phone. I loved grocery shopping with my children. We talked through the whole store...about food, about people, about what we were going to do the rest of the day or the next week. Now I see moms walking through the store with their children in the grocery cart and they are talking on their cell phone.
I believe that all these are sacred places and sacred time with our families.
How can we change this?

6 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I couldn't agree more.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Julie,
I've been thinking about your post and you are absolutely right. For me, I find the technology that is supposed to make my life easier and move convenient often complicates things for me. When I need to get away from things or people, as long as my cell is with me, I'm not really alone.

The other thing I struggle with is always being busy. There is not a day that goes by when there is something I have to do or some place I need to be. A lot of the time I am over extended and my kids and husband get what's left. That's not the way I want it or the way it should be. They should get my first and best not what's left. I could help change that by learning to say "NO" when people ask. I have a hard time with that.

Thanks for the post.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Sometimes I "forget" my cell phone on purpose.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger stacie said...

Agree! I don't know what the solution is though, except to be more aware and keep the technological distractions to a minimum.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

I just found an interesting article on USA Today about people who are known as "tech-no's" because they are saying no to using technology. It's along the same lines as what you were saying Julie. Click here to read the article.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger kendanley said...

Maybe the Amish do have it right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home