Dance with me

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Heart Thoughts

I have been feeling lately that friends are not happy with a choice I have made. That choice is to stay in the Church of Christ. I keep running this around in my brain and so now I will pour some of those thoughts out...they may not make sense but here they are.
Some of my earliest memories are of church. Sun streaming in huge glass windows. Dogwoods blooming in that floaty way that they bloom outside those same huge glass windows. Glass communion cups tinkling in their holders. My beautiful mother in a lime green dress with pearls and pretty pink lipstick. Patent leather shoes that won't touch the floor. Little white socks folded over. Voices lifted in praise. Comfortable people who love me and teach me about Jesus. Aunt June and all her silliness that gets me in trouble and probably a thump on the head. Friends who will be my friends my whole life....not everyday friends but friends that will always be there for me.
Another church...same heritage....completely different feel. Old wooden floor. Loud, boisterous singing. Feet tapping out the time on the old wood floor. Outhouses. My beloved Grandma in a flowered dress and a flashy hat singing in her little voice. People who love me...not truly for who I am ......but because I belong to a certain family that they already love. This church has a dusty parking lot and in the August heat men stand out there in the dust and smoke.
Moving on to young motherhood. Again, different church...same heritage but again, different feel. Yes, we left this church in the midst of conflict but from those early years there there was so much good. Padded pew covered in cheerios, books, and toys. Hands resting on an expectant belly. Sweet curly heads resting under my chin. People who loved my children as their own. Returning home from WaMaVa retreats exhausted but content. Our son in the waters of baptism.
Yes, I am still attending a Church of Christ and yes, there are still moments that are frustrating to me but there is also so much to love.
Voices and hands lifted in song. Children who feel loved and cherished as part of the church family. Thinking. Witnessing often people taking care of each other. An atmosphere of tolerance. Humor.
Yes, I wish that our next preacher could be a woman and yes, I wish that we had female elders. And yes, I know that I could be somewhere else and they would have that but I am willing to walk this journey with this family that I am a part of right now. I don't want my friends who have left the Church of Christ to think that I am saying that they should've stayed....not at all. I only want respect and support for my choice.
I am sure that there will be more later on this but this is just what is in my head at this very moment.

9 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Mom said...

Julie, I do understand. It is hard to leave home and family. Our leaving was the most painful decision we ever made. It was the right decision for us, we could not stay. Leaving has not taken away the wonderful memories of long ago but it has opened my heart in new ways that have helped me to understand God in ways I could not see before. You must do what you heart tells you is right for you. Both decisions are right I love you!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I'm glad you stayed. :) And I have some of the same wishes for where we could go - but for now I am content to stay with this part of God's family.

Thanks for sharing your memories - they are beautiful.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

My feelings for the CofC cycle. Having been gone for a few years now, I can often appreciate the gifts this church heritage has given me. I try to be magnanimous and recognize that the CofC works for thousands of people and they are all just trying to do what they think is right. I want to coexist - live and let live. But then something stirs up the pain again.

Please don't fault me for wanting to rescue you. Perhaps you staying means you are stronger than I. I just can't take it anymore. I can't endorse them with my presence. They have caused and continue to cause too much harm - even in the most progressive outposts. They are like an abusive husband who is usually kind and who loves me and who I have so many good memories with. If he is going to heal himself, he'll have to do it without me. Maybe you are the one who can change him. I will fill the bags of ice for your bruises. I love you! I want you to soar!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger just me said...

I really had no idea that Church of Christ was so conservative until AM enlightened me.

That being said, I believe that one's choice of religion is very personal and no one should judge you for staying or going.

I also agree with AM that, should you decide to make a change, that will not erase the positive memories that you have over the years. Just do what's best for you.

This from a Jew (and clergy spouse) who has no stake at all in your decision :)

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I know how you feel. Personally, I would love to leave but something holds me here. For me, it's the youth and any positive impact I can have there. For Geoff, it's the only church he's ever really known. We talk a lot about the baggage but we can't seem to break free. So we talk it out. We agree to disagree and we love that Max is loved there. This isn't my spiritual heritage but the one I came from is hauntingly similar. This has stirred up some stuff in me that I need to ponder. I love you Julie. You're amazing.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Oh and for the record I wish our next preacher was a woman too. Desperately!

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger just me said...

Funny, I never focus on the gender of the clergy. They're just good/effective/dynamic or not. It doesn't really matter to me.

I feel the same way about doctors :)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger julie said...

It probably isn't that we just would like a woman...only that we have heard male voices for so long that we are hungry for the feminine voice. But yes, an effective, dynamic, intelligent feminine voice would be my choice.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger John said...

Just to encourage you. Your worship to God, including your choice of where you worship, is between you and God. Period.

Love you.

And sorry I missed you this trip in Texas. It was a bit hectic, but then they all are. And also, Dad interviewed with the HWY 36 church there in your town. Hasn't heard anything yet, but I think it would be good for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home