Dance with me

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Jury Selection


Have any of you been through jury selection before?
I did. Today.
First, we just sat in our chairs for an hour. It was very quiet and the lawyers were setting up, the police officer was drawing out a diagram, and the witnesses were sitting behind us.
Next, the lawyers and the judge addressed us. Lots of rules. The lawyers then started questioning us for jury selection. They asked the obvious questions like...Do you know any of these people-lawyers, judge, defendant, witnesses? Have you ever had any property vandalized? (this was a criminal mischief trial) Do you have any family members in law enforcement? Do you believe that you can be impartial?
Then, the state's attorney looked at me and said."Ms. Danley, do have any bumper stickers and if you do what do they say?"
Keep in mind, we are in a courtroom and the judge is still presiding and it has been very quiet and respectful. I answered yes with a kind of little giggle and said,"One of them says that well-behaved women rarely make history."
The courtroom broke out into laughter, even the judge. And then a quick thought crossed my mind...I am in one of the most conservative cities in the US and I have an Obama sticker on my car. I was a little braver knowing the state's attorney that was questioning me was a confident young black woman. "I also have an Obama sticker that says Yes, We Did and a Life is Good sticker."
The whole courtroom enjoyed my bumper stickers.
I wasn't selected but that whole process took 3 hours.
Crazy!

6 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger Candy said...

My first jury experience began at 8:30 in the morning and by 3:00 in the afternoon I was sitting in the jury box holding the gun a woman had killed her husband with in her kitchen in Merkel, looking at a photograph of him laying in a pool of blood. I was totally freaked out. I still freak out every time I get one of those jury notices. It was very traumatic for me. Imagine how it felt to all of them. I'll never ever forget it. Great story about your bumper stickers. I enjoyed that.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Mom said...

I was on a jury twice. Interesting experience. I was never asked about my bumper stickers. I wish I could have seen the judge's face when you shared your bumper stickers.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I would have LOVED to see the courtroom's reaction. You do have fantastic bumper stickers!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Blessed Mommy said...

I agree. I like your bumper stickers. Especially the Life if Good one.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger John said...

In Lubbock I got called for jury duty. Went that morning, got selected and served on the jury and went home, all before 1 pm. A prison was charging an arresting officer with brutality and he was his own attorney. The judge wouldn't even let the jury decide the case. He heard it all then threw it out saying it was a waste of our time.

I was going for the death penalty.

For the prisoner, I mean.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger stacie said...

that's awesome :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home