Dance with me

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Books, Books, Books












I read all the time and there are probably not many things I enjoy more than a good book....good story...or something that makes me think.
These are the books that I have read so far this year.
1.Dating Jesus-by Susan Campbell
If you grew up in the Church of Christ, you need to read this book. I am going to meet her someday, I hope.
2.Home-by Marilynne Robinson
I am in love with Marilynne Robinson and her writing...deep theology and realistic family. So good. I will read this again and I rarely read a book again.
3. Hope's Boy-by Andrew Bridge
Everyone who has done foster care, teaches school, is a school psychologist, is a school counselor, is a social worker, is a parent, or just loves children and cares about what happens to them should read this book.
4. The Middle Place-Kelly Corrigan
An honest look at life....relationship with parents, illness, death, healthcare, friends. I couldn't put this down. She is so like Anne Lamott in her style...no holding back.
5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society-Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
This is a great story. I love these characters! Katie gave me this book for Christmas. We can always pick out books for each other...we love the same kind of stories.
6. The Gathering-by Anne Enright
I think this one is best described by The New York Times: "Reckless intelligence, savage humor, slow revelation, no consolation: Anne Enright's fiction is jet dark--but how it glitters."
7. Mountains Beyond Moutains-by Tracy Kidder
I am almost done with this book about Paul Farmer and his quest to change the world and how it sees poverty and disease. He is amazing...unconventional but amazing.

5 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Mom said...

Just finished Dating Jesus. Made me think. Made me cry. Made me glad I left.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I'm so glad you loved Guernsey. I wanted to go and hang out with Juliet and all her friends after reading it. I'll have to borrow Home from you - I keep hearing it's excellent!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Amen Mom! I'll put the other ones on my list too! I need a month at the beach.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

Thanks for the list! Some are already on my want-to list which is way too long already. I am enjoying Barbara Brown Taylor's An Altar in the World and Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea. Oh for the courage and fortitude to take more time to read.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger julie said...

Judy, I am now reading Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor and I loved Three Cups of Tea. We are certainly on the same wave length but I knew that already. Love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home