Dance with me

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Last Sin Eater

Tonight we watched The Last Sin Eater, a movie based on a novel by Francine Rivers. I will admit that I don't usually like "Christian" novels. They are usually sappy, corny and contrived. They twist the plot to make the point that they want to make and the writing is terrible but Francine Rivers has surprised me as a "Christian" writer. I couldn't put The Sin Eater down when I read it several years ago and I made Tim read it also. Tim also couldn't put it down and that is not like him at all.
So, when the movie came out I wanted to see it but never did.
Francine Rivers' story is so powerful that I still cried through the pivotal scenes despite the fact that the acting was weak and the filmography was abominable. I was disgusted that they filmed in Utah and it was supposed to be story from 1850 in Appalachia...aspen trees and stands of pine and lots of rock do not belong or look like Appalachia. Seeing that throughout the movie was distracting. The two main characters, two children, were the strongest actors.
The themes of this story are the themes of the gospel story.....truth, freedom, salvation, forgiveness and reconciliation but probably my favorite theme from this story is courage.
Watch the movie or read the book....if you watch the movie be warned that you may have some obstacles to the real story but you will still get it.

4 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Julie,
I have read most of Francine Rivers novels. I enjoyed them all. I really liked the Mark of the Lion Trilogy from her. It's historical Christian fiction that takes place in 70 A.D. after the fall of Jerusalem.

I'm going to give you a call today to see what day would work for next week.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger John said...

good movie. I enjoyed it.I would call too but I don't have your number. Guess some people are more special than others, huh.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger craig said...

(Found you from preachermike comments. Hope you don't mind.)

The Sin Eaters is good, but I'd also encourage you to read the Mark of the Lion trilogy. Interestingly, Rivers came to Jesus a bit later in her life.

If you're looking for good Christian authors, then another you may appreciate is Grace Livingston Hill. Like Rivers, her stories are not forced, but do force you to deal with real issues. Hill's aunt also wrote some excellent works and, I believe, inspired her.

Another you may want to investigate is George McDonald. He has brilliant moments providing some astonishing quotations. His Curate of Glaston trillogy may be most accessible, though he may be best know for his fairy tales. The "Princess and Curdie" series is very good too.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francine_Rivers



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Livingston_Hill



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_MacDonald

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger julie said...

Hey, thanks for coming by Craig and thanks for the information. Tell us about yourself and where you're from. As you probably know, I live in Abilene but my friends who comment are from all over the country. Always glad to hear new voices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home