Dance with me

Monday, July 02, 2007

Buffalo, Wyoming

We traveled today through Colorado and into Wyoming. The first part of Colorado was so desolate and the towns were few and far between. Fascinating country but it seemed so poor...mostly old trailers and tiny frame houses with no paint left. A little advice for that kind of traveling.....DON'T drink a whole bottle of water before driving through this desolate part of the world. I thought I was going to have to pee on the side of the road and there is absolutely no cover...not a tree or a hill or even tumbleweed. We finally found a place to stop and I carefully walked inside and there was a big sign on the counter that said...Restrooms for paying customers only. No one was standing there so I decided to take my chances and deal with it later. When I came out Tim was buying a chocolate milk because he needed to stick to the rules....so funny.
Wyoming is so majestic. The mountains and the rivers were so amazingly beautiful....clean and fresh and yet very western...I expected to see some pioneers or possibly a native american or maybe some buffalo.
What is it with the kitten theme? We were in a Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried Chicken combo restaurant when a customer walked in with a very tiny orange marmalade kitten on her shoulder. We laughed.
We went into a grocery store in Douglas, Wyoming and I was surprised at the customers. I expected healthy outdoor people or farmers or ranchers but they were mostly young and disheveled and missing teeth. What we see from the highway and the beautiful scenery may be very different from what is happening underneath all that splendor.
Tomorrow on to Montana, Idaho and Washington. We are pretty close to the Montana state line right now.

3 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Mom said...

We do live in a big, beautiful country with lots of variety, variety in both people and scenery. If you want to see in interesting mix of characters I advise an afternoon on Venice Beach in California.
Traveling mercies on your journey.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

wow..I have been to Douglas, Wyoming. I know what you mean by desolate. I am amazed that there is land there that hasn't been touched by anyone. Have fun...I have made journey and its awesome!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger John said...

If you go through Butte, Montana stop at Pork Chop John's and get a pork chop sandwich. They also have the Berkeley pit, the largest open pit mine in the world. Butte was once called the Richest Hill On Earth because of all the mining going on there. Also that's where Evil Kneivel lives. Stop in and say hi for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home