Dance with me

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Politics

Just watched a video on the Washington Post website that was a message from Barak Obama. He is forming a committee to think about running for the presidency. His words were moving and calm. It was brief and to the point. I love that he said the issue is not the magnitude of our problems but the smallness of our politics. He is right.

A couple of weeks ago at church we had a small class where we took the Sunday paper and looked through it as a group and chose some specific articles and prayed about what was written there. We were practicing putting the presence of God in the here and now. I know, God is already there but we need to acknowledge that and practice being aware of that presence. I had chosen an article about politics and the war. I am guilty of immediately putting my own political slant into anything written or said about politics. I had to step back and put God back into that situation. Hard for me to do. Is it hard for you?

Did you like the song? I keep listening to it and have now starting singing along with them. I find Rose and Rose addicting.
These are the two women singing the song. Check out their sites. Their names are Rose Polenzani and Rose Cousins. They record separately.

2 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Shane Coffman said...

Julie - Let me just say thanks for posting this idea of taking the newspaper and praying over the stories. I think that is a great way to invite God in the here and now. And, if we've prayed for it, we'll be more inclined to listen for follow up in the news and see God at work.

I think I'll try that with our group.

In the words of a certain commercial...

Brilliant!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger julie said...

Wow! you found me. Isn't this a great idea....not from me but possibly from Steve Hare...or maybe from God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home