Dance with me

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Have you missed me?

I know that I haven't blogged in forever. Sorry. Or maybe you were relieved. I am always debating about what is appropriate to put here and what is not. So, here's to hoping that what I post today is appropriate.
This last year has been good. Yes, it had its challenges but yes, it was good.
My year started with Leadership Summit with the College of Business, as it did this year also. 2010 was my third year to go with COBA to Frontier Ranch in Colorado and spend an amazing week with ACU students and be challenged to live life intentionally. Rick Lytle and Tim Johnston, you are both amazing traveling companions. You are fun and easy to be with and great conversationalists. Thanks for always including me in this powerful week.
Our country started off the year with a new president and I could never put into words how much that meant to me. Obama's inauguration was such a huge step for our country. I still love that he is our president but I am saddened by the hateful words that people are putting out on the internet about him. I don't understand it. I especially don't understand it when it is coming from people who claim to be people of faith. It makes me nauseous when I read those words that sound so angry and so afraid. What are people so afraid of?
We redid our family room this spring and both of our cats ended up being outside cats because their litter box habits needed some improvement. Then later this year, in October, Mystic died. We were sad and sometimes I still forget that she is not here and it still tugs at my heart. She was ornery but she was a part of our family for 15 years.
In February I went to Maryland and spent a weekend with Ann. I needed some Ann time and I needed some city time. I got both of them but it is never enough Ann time. I miss you, Ann, everyday....especially in the everyday.
Lucy turned 16 in February and got her driver's license. She has always been very independent but now that independence has been expanded. She has been fiercely responsible and I am proud of her for that. She is growing up and it is a delight to watch. She has great friends and is a great student and she is so much fun. We only have a year and a half until she goes to college. We will miss her being home with us.
In May, due to the generosity of a very sweet man, I got to go to California to Trudy McCall's wedding in Fresno, California. Trudy, you are a beautiful and accomplished young woman. I loved being a part of that celebration. Thank you, Mike. There are some friends who become family and they are definitely some of those friends. You have been my family since I was 11 years old and that has grown deeper through hardship and loss and I am so very grateful for those relationships.
In June I went to Colorado and reconnected with some kindred spirits. You Siggie friends filled my heart and gave me courage to move forward. I so loved those few days together. Let's do it again.
So many leadership positions changing. Mike Cope resigned in the summer and we are in the process of looking for someone to fill that space. President Money, ACU president, is moving into the role of Chancellor and they have announced the two candidates for his position....Rick Lytle and Phil Schubert. Both good men and both would do a great job.
In September we received our best gift of the year. Peyton Taylor Danley was born. She is gorgeous and sweet and we wish that we could see her more often.
December brought our whole family together with my mom included. Such a good feeling to have everyone here...gathered around the table, laughing, talking, playing...just getting reacquainted. Thank you Mom, Corey, Brittney, Ava, Peyton, Drew, Bryn, Mary Kate and Lucy for making our lives full of joy. You were all my best Christmas gifts.
Tim and I celebrated 26 years of marriage. He is the best gift of my whole life and I don't deserve him. I love him fiercely and I hope that he knows that.
Well, I am ending with two new year's questions for you.
I have a couple of times done the typical new year's exercise of what is your word for the year? Well, this year my word is joy. I will talk about that more later and how that looks throughout the year. But....what is your word for the year?
I also took many things away from leadership summit this year but the one thing that has stuck is something that I am going to share with my whole family. I want you all to answer this question....what is your big dream? (not....what is your reasonable dream but what is your big dream?)
Happy new year!

5 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Julie,
Yes, yes, and yes. I've missed you!

Tough questions... Word for the year... persevere

Big Dream...I'll have to think on that one.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Welcome back! I miss you too! It was a good year.

Off the top of my head, I would say my word for 2010 is "Today." I'm trying to enjoy the moment I am in rather than worry about tomorrow, next week, next year.

My Big Dream is writing an Important Novel that is made into a movie.

Thanks for getting us thinking! I love you!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Mom said...

I have missed you. Thanks for the update.
My word is contentment. I am just so very contented with my place in this world.
My big dream is a peaceful world where people listen to one another with respect.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Blessed Mommy said...

Julie, I have missed reading your blog. Glad to hear you are doing o.k. We are getting everything together to adopt again. Miss ya!!!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Drew Winters said...

My big dream is to write a story that changes the way people see each other (for the better.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home