Dance with me

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kindness of Strangers Feels Like a Fable

I just got back last night from Buena Vista, Colorado. It was breathtakingly beautiful and snowed and snowed and snowed. I will tell more about it later and put up pictures.
Right now I want to tell you about the kindness of strangers...

We started off the trip climbing the very steep mountain in a 12 passenger van with chains on the tires. Driving slowly we made it out of camp and onto the highway, which was also packed with snow. Took the chains off and started on our way. We stopped about 40 miles away from the airport in Colorado Springs to eat breakfast at a McDonald's. Back in the van and to the airport. We were checking in with the ticket counter and I looked into my big bag that I always use when I travel and I started saying, "Oh no!" over and over again. Tim Johnston was in line behind me and kept asking what was wrong but I was so distressed that I couldn't even tell him at first. I had left my purse at the McDonald's 40 miles away. Tim immediately said, "Use my phone and call the McDonald's." I did and an employee answered and said that she had found my purse and was trying to get ahold of me somehow. I was glad that my purse was safe with her but then instantly thought...what good does that do me? I can't go back for it. Nigel, my new friend from Wales, was standing beside me and suggested that I have them put it in a cab and drive it to me. Brilliant! I asked if it was possible to send it in a cab. "Well" the girl said, "the cab driver is standing right next to me. Can I hand him the phone?" Yay for small town Colorado! The cabby seemed old and cranky but genuinely wanted to help. He phoned his boss, who called me back and said that he was on his way. In the meantime they had let me check my luggage and receive a boarding pass but I would have to undergo a full search at security because I didn't have ID with me. This all started at 10:15 and our flight was to leave at 11:20. My purse was 40 miles away. I didn't want to hold up our party of 8, so I told them to go on through security and I would wait. If I got on that flight...great! If I didn't....I would take the next flight. The cabbie pulled up and while I was paying him the ticket agent came out and gave me a new boarding pass....no full search! Then he asked me to follow him. He took me through the flight crew security line. I was in my sock feet and holding snow boots and other stuff running down the terminal to my gate. The crew member at my gate stepped out and yelled to me....Are you Mrs. Danley? I said yes and she said...come on! They had held the flight for me because Rick had told them that I was trying to make the flight. I think that it was only a few minutes but still, so nice!!! My little group cheered when I boarded the plane in my sock feet and waving my stuff all around me.
The kindness of strangers is not a fable.

6 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Malia said...

Wow! What an amazing story! So nice to hear stories of how things went right (especially at an airport) instead of how they went drastically wrong.

This reminds me of the time when I was in college and got stranded on the side of the Interstate in Columbia, SC. It was the kindness of strangers (I believe, angels sent by God) that got me through that incident safe and unharmed.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you got home safely - and for the kindness of multiple strangers!

So lovely to see you over the break. I miss you already, and love you!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Mom said...

What? you left your purse. I would never do a thing like that.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger julie said...

Sue, I thought of you when I realized that I had left my purse. Is your disease contagious? Is there something I need to do to recover?

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I'm afraid it's genetic.
Glad it all worked out.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Julie,

You remind me of a dear friend in New York. Everywhere Betsy travels turns into some kind of emergency, usually of the weather type. Always, but always wherever Betsy goes, the weather goes bonkers. i.e. her first trip to New Orleans, in the spring mind you, her flight was delayed three days, yep! three days due to a snow storm, in New Orleans. See what I mean. Anytime I was going to travel I checked with Betsy to make sure she wasn't going to be flying anywhere near my destination or route. LOL

You DO remind me of Betsy dear. :)

Glad good, kind and trustworthy strangers came to your rescue and you arrived home with all belongings in hand! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home