Dance with me

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Looking Back and Looking Forward

On Tuesday I turned 46 years old. I don't mind being older, just don't like for people to call me old. That doesn't happen very often but I still don't like it, not even in jest.
I don't feel older or any different. I do feel though that every year when my birthday rolls around I want to change something in my life....sometimes it is lose weight, sometimes a career change, sometimes start something new that I have never done before. Just a couple weeks ago I started something that I have never attempted before...I started writing a children's book. I am excited about it and I think that it is fun to do. For now I will keep the subject matter a secret but maybe someday it will be published and you can buy and read it for yourself....with pictures and everything.

I have a prayer request for all of you. Someone that I have known and loved my whole life has cancer. Her name is Sarah Duckworth Bergquist. She has 4 children, 9 years old and younger. She has ALL...acute lymphoblastic leukemia. I was her babysitter when she was little. I was her camp counselor as she was growing up and now she is my friend. She is one of those people who always make you feel so good about yourself. The last time I talked with her she kept going on and on about how I still seem so young and look so young. See why I like her so much, even when I have had so many birthdays. She has always been gentle and kind but also deep and a seeker of the truth. Please, please pray for healing for her and for the comfort of her family....her husband and her small children, and her parents and siblings that I love so much.

Many happy returns of the day to all of you.

4 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Happy belated birthday. Already prayed for your friend and will do so again.
I'll be 50 soon, and I don't mind much.
On getting older...the only alternative is bliss.
He waits for us with open arms, my friend. He waits for us with open arms. What do I have to fear in another year gone?
Blessings on you and yours.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Mom said...

Happy Birthday my lovely young friend.
I am looking forward to reading the book. I know it will be great.
We are praying for Sarah.
I love you a whole bunch!
Sue

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Happy very belated birthday, dear Julie! You have a young spirit, and so will never be old to me. I love you!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Fedson said...

I am a College friend of Sarah Duckworth's. This year is the 20th and I am not able to make it. As a result, I have been catching up with old friends I have not talked to, some of which I have not seen since JMU. Sarah and I were “bride and groom” in a fake wedding between Pi Kap and ZTA. We became friends that semester, and then I graduated and never saw her again. The pictures I have of the wedding are among my favorite memories I have of JMU, so much so that a few of them made the cut for my Facebook. My kids laugh at those silly pictures and they have been the subject of countless funny stories over the years. As a result, I have thought of her often over the years.

Last night I asked some JMU friends if they had kept up with her. I got her e-mail address from the alum site and sent her a hello along with some fake wedding pictures. They were returned undeliverable. I googled her and saw this blog, as well as some other sites that had some disturbing news about a Sarah Berquist that fit her description. I had hoped it was not her. I sent another with less pics hoping it was the file size.

This morning I got that back also. Then I googled again and discovered the eulogy from her father that put any doubt to rest. I am still stunned and left speechless.

As I just learned of this news 3 years later, I hope you dont mind me sharing my belated grief for the world’s loss of a very special person with you. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home