Dance with me

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Not Adequate

After reading over my post from yesterday, I felt like what I said about Drew wasn't adequate...not adequate enough to describe the joy that he has brought to our lives. I told funny and sweet stories about him but didn't really describe who Drew is and was.
Drew has always been loved by his peers and by the adults he comes in contact with. He was a well-behaved student and a good friend. From the time Drew was very little people were surprised at his intelligence. While still little enough to ride in the seat of the grocery cart, he could add double digit numbers in his head. He was reading on his own at 4 years old and started kindergarten at 4 because I thought it would be ridiculous to keep him home when he could already read. In first grade he was way ahead of the rest of the class academically and would help everyone else in his class after he was done with his work. His teacher talked about how sweetly he helped his classmates and never made them feel stupid or inadequate...he just explained and waited patiently for them to understand.
Drew has been a great adult friend. I love talking with him about life, spirituality, music and my friends and his friends. We share much of the same slant on life, so that makes all of that conversation easy. Drew is very much like me in so many ways...he can be intense about the things that he loves, his emotions are readily available, he has lots of differents kinds of friends, he loves to think deeply, and doesn't mind being different. But Drew is also like Tim...most of the time laid back, loyal and able to keep doing a job that no one else wants to do, patient with people and their shortcomings.
Thank you, Drew, for being such an amazing part of our lives.
I love you.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Sorry, this is off-subject of your topic!

Julie, I came over here through BST's blog. Earlier today I read a comment on Mike's from a Julie who had attended camp WaMaVa. But blogger wouldn't let me click over at that time.

If this is you, I wanted to tell you that was the first camp I went to. My family used to live in Manassas, VA. Deb (Tucker) Binkley was my good childhood friend and later college roomie.

I'm not sure if you know her, but I just figured everyone from that camp had to know her. :)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger julie said...

Amy, I did go to Camp WaMaVa and and yes, I know and love Deb Binkley. I have seen her almost every summer for the past several years but we have never had any extended time together to catch up. We worked many summers with Deb at camp.
Tell me your maiden name. I have a feeling that we knew you also.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Yay, it is you! I was Amy Smithson, my dad is John T. Smithson who preached in Manassas for a few years in the 70's.

I don't remember a whole lot of people from camp, but I do remember Jim McCall being a wonderful director.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger julie said...

Amy, I figured out your last name last night. I had to go way back to remember but it came to me. We still love and cherish our friendship with Jim McCall. Did you know that camp celebrated its 50th anniversary this year?
This is one of the fun things about having a blog...you get to find people all over again. So much fun. I went to your blog last night.
I was at Zoe and have been for the last 9 years. We probably saw each other and didn't realize that we knew each other. I was usually sitting with Judy Thomas and the other people from Highland. People keep telling me that I look the same but I don't know...I have a very different perspective.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Julie, I will have to look for you next year at Zoe. I do love the connections we make through blogging.

I've seen your comments around, and you seem to have a great perspective and warm personality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home