Dance with me

Friday, May 05, 2006

Your Safe Place

I live in West Texas and there are lots of thunderstorms...well, when we get rain there are lots of thunderstorms. I worked 12 hours today and all day in my patient's room they kept talking about the storms that were on their way. They talked all day about hail and high winds and the possibility of flooding. Later in the day the talk became more serious..there were tornadoes involved. The newscaster kept saying for everyone to go their safe place. He said it like everyone should know where their safe place was. Do you know where your safe place is? I had to think about it. Here are the places that I came up with...I tried to go back far but I started realizing that some of those places that used to be safe to me, weren't so safe anymore. So I will name them without divulging which ones aren't safe to me anymore.
My mother's lap, my husband, Camp WaMaVa, my best friend, the sanctuary at Highland, the prayer room at Highland with my Spiritual Formation group, the sixth grade girls class, walks with Diane, my car.
These are all very different places and yet they all seem to evoke in me some of the same feelings of safety.
Do have a safe place? Is there someone who warns you to run to that place when danger is lurking?
The words of the weatherman have made my mind start turning.

2 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger TKP said...

thought-provoking post, Julie. some of my safe places are: the house i shared with two amazing friends in abilene, the Danley den, my room in Japan, on top of the mountain i live on, Brittany's SUV, a local coffee shop near my folks' home, and watching a movie on the couch between my mom and dad.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Candy said...

good post Julie. throughout my life safe places for me have been at my grandma's side, in my closet, dancing on top of my dad's shoes, my friend JoAnn's house, at Geoff's side, my backyard, my friend Lynette's house. But when I'm asked to go to a safe place inside of myself I always find myself beside a trickling stream next to a waterfall sitting on a big rock in the mountains surrounded by trees, wildflowers and moss. Butterflies and birds are everywhere. But mostly I feel peace. Cool story - one time Jesus came and sat with me there. I'll have to tell you about that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home