Dance with me

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sweet Baby Sounds

Yesterday I had the sweetest message on my voicemail that I have ever received. It started with my son's voice, Corey, saying,"Talk to Grammy." And then there were sweet baby sounds. Ava was talking to me for the first time. And then Corey said, "Tell her goodbye." That was it. Perfect.

Last night was our last night with our sixth grade girls class. Diane asked me to join her and Candy in teaching this class. I said yes but didn't realize how much they would mean to me. They are now a part of my heart and teaching them has been spiritually forming for me. You could feel the power of prayer when they prayed. These 11 and 12 year old girls are carrying heavy burdens and they are doing it with grace and strength. So many memories of this past year...so much laughter, so many tears, so many prayers, so many knowing looks, God's word read aloud, stories illustrated, hopes shared and sorrows carried for each other. They have shaped my theology and I am glad to call them my friends.

We have been looking for a quote for Mary Kate's graduation announcements. We are making them because we wanted them to be unique. Here is the quote we have chosen:
Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else. I've felt that many times. My hope for all of us is that "the miles we go before we sleep" will be filled with all the feelings that come from deep caring- delight, sadness, joy, wisdom- and that in all the endings of our life, we will be able to see the new beginning.
Mister Rogers

2 Comments:

At 6:09 AM, Blogger pawatson said...

Julie, Don't you love Mr. Rogers? I have a poster that has hung on the wall in my ofice for years. It says, "What appears to be the end may really be a new beginning." It's side-barred by another that says, "If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!" I think life is full of new beginnngs, and as Mary Kate leaves for college, while it is the end of one phase of life, it will be the beginning of another. You will be amazed and awed by the young woman you have sent into the big world. And, if she is anything like our daughter, she will never be far away. This is one place I am grateful for technology that allows us to keep in touch daily. God's blessings on your family as you walk into this next part of your journey. Patsy

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Touching post. How wonderful that a baby's words can be so recorded for posterity!

You sound like a real blessing to those girls -- they will never forget you! What a special bond you all have developed. (My grandmother taught 3rd grade at Highland for many decades. She had generations of kids grow up and appreciate her influence.)

I have always loved Mr Rogers. What a great thing to do for your daughter's announcements. The quote is so sweet, and so very true.

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home