Dance with me

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Summer

It feels like summer is here. Not just by the temperature but also how it feels...a little more relaxed, the air smells different, and school is almost over. Lucy does not look forward to summer. She thinks that it is boring. I like it and love some things about it but I also like routine. I feel like since we moved to Abilene there hasn't been enough routine. Tim has worked different jobs and I have worked more. It just hasn't felt settled yet. I think that this next year will be more settled but will also be another time of transition for us since Mary Kate will be gone to college. Lucy will be all alone with her parents...she may find us boring after awhile.

Last night we watched an Oprah special on TV. We were just flipping through the channels and came upon it. So moving. She planned a weekend to honor those legendary African American women who had influenced her life and paved the way for so many behind them. She invited these women and the younger women who had been influenced by them to her home for a weekend. She had someone write poetry about them. They had a huge ball. And on Sunday they worshipped together. Spontaneous worship filled with the Spirit. These women were overwhelmed with the acknowledgment of their accomplishments and the words from the younger women about how they had looked up to them and wanted to be like them. We so often don't take the time to honor those who have been huge influences on our lives. We usually wait until they die and then we all tell each other what we think about them. Often those we are looking up to have sacrificed and taken many blows so that we can do and be who we are.

I got a call this morning from Japan...Teresa. So good to hear her voice and know that she is happy and well and not locked up in the police station being questioned. Read her blog to find out the rest of that story.

Getting ready for many people to be in our house this weekend. Mary Kate's graduation. We will have at least 14 people in our house. I love it when the house is full. This will be the biggest family gathering we have had since Anne's funeral (Tim's mom). We are excited to see everyone...Corey, Brittney, Ava (don't tell anyone but we are the most excited about seeing her), Drew, Ashley, Jeanette, Martha, Lera, Janaye, Stacie, and Darek. Jeanette asked if they should get a hotel room and I said no....I love it when we are all in the same house....sleeping all over the place...eating breakfast together....taking walks....making food together...playing games...watching movies....getting ready for important events...and talking and talking and talking....I love it!!! Bring it on!!

3 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Mom said...

Wish I could be there to help you celebrate Mary Kate's big day. I could crowd into a corner somewhere.
You make me smile too.
Love
Sue

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Could I squeeze in?
Do you have a bathroom time chart?
Have you made those delicious seven layer cookies? pound cake?

You should set up a stealth video recorder or tape recorder in the kitchen during mealtime and play it back later.

Have a blast! I love you!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Root's Ramblings said...

Hi Julie - this is Sheryl Root (previously Warnock) from camp. I found you through Malia's blog site! Wow! Reading through what's been going on with the family, I can't believe your a grandma, and that Mary Kate is graduating! Life is good in California! Miss my camp days so much! Can't make it to the reunion but will be thinking and praying for everyone who goes to have wonderful memories for the next 50 years!
God bless! Say hi to Tim for me. (I'm sure the kids wouldn't remember me) :-)
Blessings, Sheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home