Dance with me

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Letting Go

Someone said that to be a mother is to forever have your heart walking around outside your body....yes, they get it. My older kids who have been away from home for awhile tell me that I am good at letting go. If they could have lived inside my body during those transition times for them, they would have known that I am not good at letting go. My children are a part of me. They will forever be a part of me. Yes, I want them to grow up and go places and change the world but I also will miss them terribly.
Today has been Senior Sunday at Highland and it was tough on me. I know we have only been here for two years but I have grown to love some of these kids and it was hard to think that their time in high school is over...I'm not done with them...I was just getting started. My own daughter is one of those seniors and she doesn't like to be the center of attention. She doesn't like to walk up in front of people. Most people don't understand that because they love to be the center of attention but she hates it. Mike Cope said the perfect things to them...they are walking letters of recommendation for the Highland church and for their families. It was a comfortable morning with family and I think the seniors felt honored and loved. Mornings like this are important.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I remember you telling me how the first day of school was a difficult passage because your baby was gone. This is true. I miss my babies - not that I want new babies. I just miss the ones I had. But in their place are these new people who love me in spite of my haphazard parenting skills.
You don't have to be done with them, but you do have to let them pass into the next phase. You couldn't stop them if you tried - not that you would. But they move on so easily because you didn't rush them through the earlier stages and they are well loved. You make it seem easy - but they haven't done it yet.
You're a great mom. I hope I do half as well.
I love you.
Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home