Dance with me

Friday, May 12, 2006

Mary Kate

I feel bad that I haven't blogged for a few days but life has been crazy busy. I spent Wednesday finishing Mary Kate's graduation announcements. They are done and so cute. I have to seal all the envelopes today and send them off. I went into work yesterday at 5am, which meant I had to get up at 4am. I worked until 5:30pm and came home. I felt weirdly tired but there were still some things I had to do. But I also watched ER because I have been watching ER for I don't know how many years and I have even hung in there with them through the terrible seasons. Last night was like an old ER....it was fast paced and thoughtful and brought out much emotion in me....Gallant dies in Iraq and a little boy kills his father so that he won't kill his little brother. There is much talk about war and killing and when it is justified and why are we working so hard to save the kids of this generation if our government is just going to send them to war and then they will die there. Like I said, powerful and thought-provoking and the acting was amazing. That's my old ER. Then I stayed up after that to book a flight for Corey and Brittney and baby Ava so that they will be here for Mary Kate's graduation but the site wouldn't do what I wanted it to do and finally we called the customer service line. They were helpful and fixed the situation but I had to sit on hold for eternity. But the important part is that I get to see Ava in two weeks. Yay!
Today is Mary Kate's 18th birthday. I know that I have blogged about her alot lately but life is kind of revolving around her right now and it should be...this is her time. She continually amazes me. I told you before how she is particular about who she chooses to be friends with and that was evident last weekend when she went to a sleepover. It was a first annual lunchtable sleepover. These are the girls who she befriended when we first moved to Abilene. They are not the popular girls and they don't have money and it appears not much status at school but Mary Kate enjoys their company and she loves that they are different and comfortable with themselves. I had only met these girls that morning when I picked her up...well, one of them I have met several times but the rest not at all. They are funny and beautiful and smart and just themselves and I know why Mary Kate likes them.
I can't believe my little girl is growing up. I can remember the elementary school years....long, thick braids with ribbons on the end, a smile that would melt your heart, elegance and sweetness all wrapped up in one little girl, a maturity that came through as quiet confidence, a shyness that kept her from participating sometimes even when she wanted to, other little girl friends who were sweet and giggly and smart like her, days at the pool...I could on forever but I won't because if she reads this, she will be embarrassed.
This is to all those little girls from those school days who brightened my life by being Mary Kate's friends....Rachel Cunningham (best buddies who loved to dress alike), Kelly Chesnick ( so smart, she kept all the details of life straight for us), Megan Cooper (such a precious, wise spirit about her), Caitlin Cummings (tiny package with so much energy and spunk), Kelly Vereb (didn't go to the same elementary but joined in for Brownie fun and later played on tennis team with Mary Kate), and later...Andrea Barnes (amazingly beautiful and so mature), and Katelynn Bartenstein (confident and fun...could always make Mary Kate laugh).
Mary Kate, I wish for you many more friends like the ones you have chosen. I know that college will bring many opportunities for friendship. I know that you will choose wisely. I am glad that you are my friend.

For those of you who know Mary Kate...you describe her...

3 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Mom said...

Happy birthday, Mary Kate!
You are a beautiful person in all ways. I miss you.
It is hard to believe that you are 18.
Love
Sue

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Happy Birthday, Mimi!
We sure miss you back east. We can't wait for our beach week in August.

I have known MaryKate all her life. I remember clearly the moment when Julie told me she was expecting: we were cleaning up in the church kitchen. We were right by the sink. I was so excited and asked if I was allowed to help share the happy news. I remember playing with you and teaching you in Sunday school, even when you wouldn't come out from under the table. I remember the time I invested in keeping your hair under control when you stayed over at my house.
Has it been two years since you've moved? The last few years when we have had time together, I have loved our easy and thoughtful conversations. I love MaryKate's strong, but non-intrusive opinions. We share tastes in music and tv shows and movies. MaryKate, you are beautiful to the core and I am proud to count you as a friend.
Mi casa, su casa.
I love you.
Ann

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger TKP said...

Mary Kate has a great taste in music. She knows herself, is mature and quiet, yet strong at the same time. She's cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home