Dance with me

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Weekend




This has been an interesting weekend.
Thursday brought a fun new person into my life. We are related and so we share an ancestor, Mordecai McKinney Cox. He was ggg grandfather and her gg grandfather. I told you about him before. She had googled him and came to my blog. She lives in Scotland. She said that she had some unidentified pictures and she would send them to me. The very first picture she sent was of three girls standing in front of what appears to be an adobe brick house. The girl in the middle is holding a baby. They are not smiling but do look content. A very old woman is standing in the background watching them get their picture taken. My newfound family member in Scotland said that the woman in the middle looks like her cousins. As soon as I saw the picture I knew that the one standing in the middle was my grandmother, Nellie Anna Champion Bailey. My mother identified the rest of them. This has been so fun. Also found out that the great grandfather or possibly grandfather of Mordecai's wife, Nancy Emmaline Dodd, fought in the Revolutionary War. His name was Jesse Dodd. Can't wait to find out more.

Went to the ACU musical last night. This year they did Aida. I loved it! Jasmine, Johnathon and Jenavene were incredible! The audience was so into it and that made it even more fun.
At intermission I started talking to the girls and mentioned to them that I wished I had a mint. Just a few seconds later the man in front of me offered me a mint. I just wished and there it was. It was a fun moment. Thanks to whoever you are.
I had free tickets to the musical and they were great seats. Thanks to Donna Hester.

Tonight I walked out onto my front porch and quickly stepped back in. There was a snake on my front porch. Not a tiny snake or a huge one....but enough of a snake to startle me.

6 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Mom said...

I hate snakes!
I love old family pictures and imagining the stories of the people who are part of my story.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

yikes! snake!

I want to know about the woman on the side who looks like Tasha Tudor.

Doesn't it look like that baby is hovering in the middle?

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Happy Birthday, Dear Friend!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Clarissa said...

I married a Cox ...

My great-grandmother was a Bailey (before becoming a Dean.)

Perhaps we're more kindred than we knew. (I've considered you a kindred spirit since we met, you know.)

Love you. I hope you're well. I'm sorry we didn't get to talk at ZOE, but eye contact, smiles, appearances ... all can say a lot, can't they?

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger julie said...

Clarissa, it was so good to see your face at Zoe and I know we both gave each other that look that says....wish I had some time to sit and talk with you. It is going to happen.
Maybe we are related...those relatives are from Northwest Alabama...Haleyville....Marion and Winston Counties. Ask your husband about his family.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Dan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home