Dance with me

Saturday, April 08, 2006

We have been studying Hebrews in our small group. So much in Hebrews that I don't think was there the last time that I read it. A few lines from the Indigo Girls kept coming to mind during our discussion from their song Closer to Fine....the lines that kept popping up were....darkness has a hunger that's insatiable and lightness has a call that's hard to hear. We had been talking about hearing God's voice and when do we know that it is God's voice and not someone else's voice. We had just talked about this a few weeks ago with the sixth grade girls and they said some amazing things...that we hear God's voice...in prayer, in our friends' words, in scripture and in songs. They meant it and gave examples from their lives of God talking to them. I don't think I was near their depth of spirituality at that age. Recently a boy was baptized at Highland and his dad asked why he was being baptized and the boy responded that the Spirit had been calling him. I am so glad that they are hearing the voice of God.
I shared with the girls how God speaks to me in nature. When I am down or discouraged...I believe that God sends a Great Blue Heron to be seen by me. It started about 7 years ago when I was in nursing school and was frustrated and feeling like I needed to be about 3 other people to get all the things done that I needed to get done. I was getting ready to go take a test and I was not feeling prepared. I was in my bathroom and looked out and a Great Blue Heron flew right by my window. Wow! They are so huge and so graceful and it I felt like God was speaking directly to me.
How does God speak to you? Do you see birds? Okay, probably not...I know that I am weird but I know that God speaks to you somehow...share it here.

3 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Malia said...

I get a lot from God from nature as well. I remember when I was pregnant with my son, there were times when I would feel a bit nervous and uneasy because there had been a miscarriage before getting pregnant with him. One day while I was washing dishes, I looked out the kitchen window (I LOVE having a window over my sink!) and I looked at the saucer magnolia that's in our backyard. This tree usually blooms once in early spring and then again in later spring. If I remember correctly this was summertime, after the second bloom and there on the leafy but bloomless tree was one lone bloom perfectly positioned to where I could see it from the window. I really felt that God was speaking to me from that one bloom saying that the life inside of me was also blooming and growing and beautiful.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger julie said...

I think that God was speaking to you...beautiful!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger pawatson said...

Several years ago, I was going through a particularly difficult time at work. Things had been bad for a long time, but had moved beyond bad to what I felt was unbearable. My boss had taken the ultimate unjust personnel action against me, and I told God, "God, I just cannot handle this anymore. I'm giving it to you." (Novel idea!!) My office window looked out into what passed for a lawn that flowed down to a ditch that would flow with water after a rare rain (this is Abilene TX after all). Most days there were birds of many kinds pecking in the grass looking for something to eat. This particular day, I happened to look up after this particular prayer and a white bird was on the lawn. It was not a dove, and I had never seen a white bird there before. Several times over the next few weeks, when things were to the point of unbearable, I would look out the window and the bird would be there. I believe God sent me an Angel - to minister and to make me realize I never could do it on my own. I still forget that sometime, but not nearly so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home