Dance with me

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Lucy Has Good News





Lucy just spent two weeks at Camp Blue Haven and she had a great time and made a huge decision. Lucy was baptized on Thursday afternoon. She called us on Wednesday in the middle of the night to tell us about her choice. She wanted us to come but it was impossible. It is an 8 hour drive to Camp Blue Haven from our house and we both had to work on Thursday. I was so torn because I really, really wanted to be there with her. I couldn't sleep after she called. I kept thinking about how we could be with her at her baptism and decided that we needed to each write her a letter and email to camp and have them read it right before her baptism. They did and I think that was a very good thing.
Here is what we said to her:

Dear Lucy,
You know that we would prefer to be standing in the waters of baptism with you. We always thought that our hands would guide you down into those waters but as I have been contemplating your choice today, I know that our hands have guided you there and now you have made a choice from your own heart. There has never been anything that I have wanted more for you than for you to choose Jesus. I know that this is just the beginning of your journey. You have been walking side by side with me and your dad and the rest of our family and we will continue to walk with you but this step is a huge step of faith for you that is independent of our spiritual lives.
I will tell you as I told Drew before you...All your life I have taught you to be cautious but in this choice, I am saying, go in with abandon. Jump in those waters an get in over your head. Following Jesus is a sweet but radical journey. From now on, you will live the baptized life and all your life will be doused with the waters of baptism. You have always been strong...strong in spirit and in determination. Use that strength to bring the radicalness of Jesus to the world. I know that you will do that in small and gigantic ways. I can see you using your amazing gifts to show Jesus...your confidence in front of a crowd, your clear and expressive writing, your way of gathering people into a cohesive group and just your spirit and easy way with people.
So, as you are immersed in that fresh and holy water feel my hands on you and my heart right with you as your mind is immersed in the mind of Christ. Let the Spirit take over and you will be lead to many incredible and awesome places.
"I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way-in all your speaking and in all your knowledge-because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into the fellowship with his son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful."
" You are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all who were baptized into Christ have clothed themselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave or free, male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."
Lucy, you are choosing to join in the story of an amazing savior and I can't wait to see what that journey unfolds for you.
Love you more than you will ever know, Mom

Dear Lucy,
It seems only right that you want to be baptized at camp. You were only four months old in 1993 when we took you to camp where we routinely worked every summer. During that summer, I began reading a book called "The Blessing". The "blessing" in many cases are words spoken from a parent to a child-most often at a young age. At the last summer camp devotional (about this time fourteen years ago), I laid you in my lap and shared my blessing to you with about 80 teenagers and staff members. That blessing included that raise you up to be a strong person of faith; that you come to love Jesus as your parents do; and that you are surrounded by friends that will direct you in the way of Christ. I know that right now you are surrounded by friends who will walk with you on this journey of faith. There are also many friends and family-young and old-who will be with you in times of celebration (like now) and when things in life get tough. We all walk this journey with you.
Lastly, it's hard not to think of my parents right now-celebrating with you-from heaven. As they passed down their legacy of faith, I'm sure that often in their thoughts and prayers were words like these:
"May all who come behind us find us faithful
May the fire of our devotion light their way
May the footprints that we leave, lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey."
I know that you recognize this, but as a reminder: It is in Jesus' steps that you follow, He'll walk with you-so will we.
We love you and wish we could be with you at this very moment. We're very proud of you and this most important decision.
Love, Dad

7 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I love you all!
I agree that camp was the perfect place for this decision.
We wish we could have been there too. Sofie & I recognized the shirt she was wearing as one we picked out together on a summer trip. It made us feel like we were there in spirit too.
Gigantic squeeze!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I'm rejoicing for Lucy and for you. Love you guys!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Mom said...

I'm crying big, happy tears. I do love Lucy, my other granddaughter. Hope you can all feel the big hug coming across the internet!Much love to all of you.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Polly Jones said...

I'm so happy with you all and Lucy! Is there anything more wonderful than to have your child make a decision like this? I can't think of it.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Jacinda said...

Those are precious letters to your daughter. You must be wonderful parents.

Congratulations to your daughter for choosing to follow Christ!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Candy said...

I just read this! Yea Lucy!! Julie you know you and Tim were definitely there in spirit. Lucy couldn't have done this without thinking of you both. I love that she has this great memory of her baptism - judging by the pictures it was amazing. It will be so fun to watch her go from here. I love that amazing young woman. Tell her for me please.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Val said...

I'm sure I've already bored you with Blue Haven stories, but here are more. I saw several friends baptised in that very spot. I personally got a concussion just a few feet away from there- with the help of a guy who now goes to Highland. Anyway- congratulations to Lucy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home